Sunday, August 9, 2020

Just the Two of Us

 

We decided a couple of weeks ago that we would start alternating weekends with guests with weekends with just the two of us alone.  That decision was partly COVID-related (we'd hate to be a vector for someone else catching it) and part selfishness... it's a whole different experience to just go out and relax on your boat without having to be a host.

It still shocked me that we had to fill the car just for a simple one night stay.  Both of us are quite skilled at packing light - being able just a few months ago to pack for a 4 or 5 day business trip in just a piece of carry-on luggage.  Oh, well.


We arrived late Saturday morning (bad storms Friday night caused us to wait a bit this weekend).  I saw that the bow thruster joystick has been permanently installed and was now right-side-up.  The solenoid for the forward head was also working finally.
After a quick stop at Gratitude Marina for our biweekly pump-out, we were out on the bay.
The photos tell the main story.  It was a day of light winds.  We were able to get the sails out and sailed along at about 3 knots from a similar amount of wind.  It was a nice relaxing day.


We saw a lot boats out with Spinnakers... we had saved the spinnaker from the 315 which we will try another weekend.

After a couple of hours, we headed back in.  I surprised Vicky by making reservations to dock and dine (well, dock and take out) at Waterman's Crab House.  Vicky was so shocked that she snapped a photo of me.

This meant going into Rock Hall Harbor... this being my first time, it was a bit tricky until I learned what to look for.
We backed in OK only to discover that they wouldn't sell crabs as take-out.  Last time we were there we weren't comfortable with their COVID-related practices so Vicky opted to get crab cakes take out rather than dine in.

(Note for future reference, things were VERY relaxed in terms of the mask requirements... most people wore masks while coming in, but many were moving around inside - including staff at times - without wearing them.  I also saw multiple employees opening take out containers to check and double check.  We are going to stay away from restaurants - especially dining in - for a while.)
We were hungry enough that we went ahead and ate at the dock... eating on Seas The Day kept us 10 to 12 feet from anyone passing on the dock.

We then took a brief tour of Rock Hall Harbor.  From a map, it looks like this nice harbor that's about a quarter mile across, but when you look at the chart you quickly realize that it is mostly shallow with defined channels.  Since Swan Creek had some of the buoys blown around during the recent hurricane, I was a bit worried.  However, the harbor is marked by day-marks (permanent pilings that define the channels... you can see the bright orange "4-E" day-mark behind me in the photo a few above).
So we toured and viewed some of the marinas and also saw Harbor Shack restaurant from the water.

Later that evening after getting back and tying up, we rested for a while.  The internet was a bit sketchy but finally seemed to reset around 8:00 PM.  We watched some YouTube then had some wine outside at sunset.
I had not actually been to the Rock Hall Liquors for lunch in a while (guests have been picking up the sandwiches) so we were down to a last couple of swallows of scotch.  I'll get in trouble for posting this photo, but it's too cute to resist.

On Sunday morning it was oppressively humid.  I was soaked just standing outside filling water tanks.  

I've sort of made Sunday mornings my "boat chore" day since I spend so much time on my knees.  Today I filled the batteries again... the forward battery is clearly bad as it is boiling when the charger is only at 13.2 volts... I'm working with Gratitude to get a replacement.  We also had to clean out the AC seawater filter and hose down the bilge again.

After the chores were finished, we headed home.  On the drive we stopped at Arby's for fish sandwiches and large drinks (it was hot outside) and in the final stretch towards home we began arguing who got to use the first floor bathroom first.  

It became one of those INTENSE competitions that only married couples can pull off.  

As an explanation to the neighbors, Vicky pulled out her phone while we were in the final stretch on our road, and pre-unlocked the front door.  I countered with this preemptive path-blocking parking maneuver.  As she sprinted for the front door (she gets extra points for leaping the garden like a track-and-field competitor), I added in an expertly-timed command to lock the door as she approached (I have a phone too) as I sprinted through the garage, and surprised the fish by running past them in the living room.

I got to pee first!  

(I'm CERTAIN I'll pay for that, but all's fair in love and war and this is love.)

No comments:

Post a Comment