Saturday, September 12, 2020

A Quick Day-Sail



This weekend we just did a quick day-sail on Saturday.  

Things were busy finishing up from work on Friday night and we had other plans for Sunday.  I remembered that for the past several years while we kept Seas The Day 315 in Keyport, almost all of our sailing was day trips - leaving Newark DE and heading up the NJ Turnpike, sailing and then returning.  

The wind forecast on Saturday looked fabulous (sunny and brisk - 12 to 18 knots, mostly stead with some gusts to keep life interesting), so... we did a day trip.  

We left at 10:00 AM to head down to Rock Hall, got in four to five hours on the boat and we were back home by 6:30 PM.

The photos tell the story (with a few captions added where necessary)....

The first surprise was a full tank of gas - Thanks John!

A friend from B-Dock helped me finally find my HIN (etched just under the rub rail).




We mostly did some points of sail sailing (changing my direction to force me to keep adjusting the sails - sort of like ASA-101 practice).  

Vicky was engrossed in a series of Chinese movies.

Being a bit of a nixnutz, I challenged myself by trying to put the sun from the opening in the Bimini directly on her screen each time I tacked or gybed.   I finally heard the question I was waiting for...

"Why are you going back and forth so much?"

"I have to practice, my dear."




I also tried getting Seas The Day to heel over a bit more.  I'm getting much more comfortable at 15 degrees and we even had one that went a hair over 20 degrees (I wasn't about to reach for the iPhone during that).  That last one involved some crashing sounds from down below, so we relaxed after that.  

It was just a wonderful day of sailing overall... we essentially stayed in the area north of Love Point.  After several hours, we had enough and headed back.




On the way back in, we passed this boat which I think made a cute photo.


That was pretty much it... a wonderful day!




No comments:

Post a Comment