Sunday, September 20, 2020

Getting Colder...

 

This weekend we were determined to get down to Rock Hall on Friday.  For some time now we have been getting ready to make the trip on Friday evening only to have it fall apart for some reason or another (usually related to one of our jobs).  This meant we would only leave mid-morning on Saturday which limited us a bit on how far we were able to sail.

Our hope was to get down Friday, attend to some boat chores and then maybe go somewhere special for the weekend.

It took longer than planned to get away, so we arrived just as the last light was leaving the sky.



Shortly after we settled in, I noticed the wind was picking up.  A quick check on Windy showed that there was going to be a fresh breeze overnight with gusts approaching 30.  More alarmingly the temperatures were supposed to drop down to the mid 50s.  We knew it was supposed to get cold and packed accordingly.


We did not know it would get THAT cold.  When we woke up and had breakfast, I went above and started to put out the cushions.  It was cold and raw.  I realized after placing the first two cushions, that it just would not be fun leaving in the morning.  (I had sailed colder last year, but had some time to work up to it.)  So we changed our plans and decided to have a lazy morning and go sailing after it warmed a bit.

Given the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday night, we curled up in the salon and watched RBG.


After lunch (I went and got sandwiches from the liquor store), we waited a bit and headed out when Accuweather told us it would be the warmest.  

I had a scare in that I seemed to start dragging something (boat speed slowed way down) around Gratitude Marina, but a few moments later, it must have shaken loose as things returned to normal, so we continued on.

It was wonderful sailing weather.






We have a new Green #3 buoy!  This had been a dark green covered with dark grey bird sh!t.  
The new one is much easier to see.


We got back a bit later than usual... had a really fast and unremarkable dinner and settled in to watch a movie.  Since the theme of the day was "women in law", I watched Erin Brockovich.

Erin Brockovich (film poster).jpg

I don't think Vicky rememberers much of the movie.

Sunday morning was even colder - high 40s, though with less wind.  Since the weather forecast for next weekend is back to more normal September temps, we decided to just be lazy.  Vicky did her workout after breakfast (avocado toast with eggs and half a banana chip muffin) and then disappeared.  

Gives a new meaning to the term "Boat Yoga".

Really dissapeared... 

I thought she went for a shower and then never heard it go on.  When I went to check, the bathroom was empty... I went back to the aft cabin she sometimes uses for an office... nothing.  Finally after 2 or 3 minutes of really getting bewildered (surely I'd know if she left the boat), I realized that the pile of blankets in the forward cabin was a bit larger than normal.  

Found her!

So I got lost in the Sunday morning news shows and TicToc (I had to load it before it was banned), and I let her sleep.  As Noon approached, I heard stirring in the front cabin and I started making Sunday dinner... sautéed chicken breast, cornbread stuffing with gravy and steamed veggies, and a bottle of rose'.


We enjoyed it outside which meant the veggies got cold fast, but it was a nice dinner.

Once you open the bottle, you have to finish it... that meant a couple hour nap before heading home.



No comments:

Post a Comment