Saturday, September 6, 2014

No Sailing Today

It's weird how things work out sometimes.

I wanted to go sailing today.  I knew there were scattered thunderstorms predicted for late, but since we wanted to go to the KYC Family Picnic at 5:00, I figured we would be safe.  A quick mid-day cruise would be the perfect warm up to the party afterwards.

But... we slept in, had a leisurely breakfast (steel cut oatmeal & banana), and late morning, Vicky wanted to go bike shopping.  That took much longer than expected and mid afternoon we got back... too late to sail, but I thought I could quickly go out and take care of some maintenance items. However, slothfulness ruled and I ended up watching 2 hours of History Channel.

When...

Sitting on our sofa, looking out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the sky getting darker.  This was earlier than I was expecting.  I then watched over a span of maybe 20 to 30 minutes as the wind picked up, the bay became covered with whitecaps, and this line of invisibility steadily made its way across the bay in our direction.  I ran upstairs to grab the camera and get this photo right as the line hit Seas The Day out on our mooring and just before the rain hit and we had the WORST downpour I've seen since moving here.


(Seas The Day is the boat on the upper left.)

Within a few seconds of taking this photo, it was hard to see the deck railing... deck chairs were being flipped over by the sudden wind gusts and all hell was breaking loose on our skylights.

We waited for the rain to abate, then went to the KYC picnic... very glad we didn't get out... tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment