Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Winter - Knee update and winter checks

Well, it hasn't been a typical winter for this sailor.  My knee issue developed after closing down last season and eventually resulted in surgery in early December.  A skilled surgeon, a new procedure for treating stress fractures (among other ailments in the same knee) and an incredible physical therapist have resulted in my getting clearance from Doc to start sailing next month.  One thing I learned is that when you seem to have a set-back in a recovery, don't wait... head back to Doc.  (I had some fluid build up in March that once drained, gave me a great leap forward.)

So the first couple of trips back to Keyport resulted in me just checking Seas The Day from the ground (more of a "is she still there" sort of trip - yes, I also stopped by and visited John).


I also got some nice shots of the dock in winter...


Eventually, in March, I was able to climb the two ladders and get on-board...


She seemed to weather the winter OK.  We will probably go up this weekend (Easter Saturday) to pull off the winter cover.

Of course, that means that spring expenses started... yacht club launch fees, boat yard fees to prep the boat, clean her up and paint the bottom, etc. and a surprise (well... not really, known about it since December) cost to fix up my mooring.  But we'll save the mooring discussion for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment