Sunday, June 10, 2018

Photographing the Sailing Regatta




Keyport Yacht Club holds its Bill Volk Regatta early each June.  Although I understand essentially zero about sailboat racing, I love photographing this event each year.  It can be very colorful and the Raritan Bay offers lots of neat backgrounds for the photos.  In fact, this year I was offered a seat on the "official" photography boat but turned it down when I heard they were planning to sit by the starting area - there's only so many photos you can make looking in the same direction.

That meant taking Seas The Day out.

I was spoiled the first time I photographed this event in 2014 as Tom, one of the launch captains, took me out in his boat which could zip around the field, and he was great at helping me line up great shots.  I decided to take Seas The Day out with only a day or two's notice.  Since I couldn't find a skipper to help, I ended up both as single-handed skipper and chief photographer.

That meant that I was missing some shots when I was busy with the boat.  But that's OK as I still ended up with almost 300 frames.  My favorite 3 are above.  Below are a few more of my favorites with the rest at my SmugMug page.
















No comments:

Post a Comment