Thursday, May 30, 2019

First Day of the Season - Cleaning the Boat



So...

We didn't QUITE kill each other over the "how long to clean the boat" argument.

This is an every-year issue.  We pay our yard a lot of money to spruce up Seas The Day prior to putting it in the water.  On the years where we are able to meet her as she comes off the lift, we take over and it stays quite clean.  On the years (like this year) where we have the yard guys take her out to the mooring, well... they're about efficiency and they wear their work shoes to sail her out.  That means there's a little mud on the deck after they leave.

I need to back track.  My beloved LOVES a clean boat and nicely, she LOVES to clean her boat.  So after we took the launch out to her and found her nicely bobbing at her mooring, stepping onto it, she notices the dirt... I notice how clean she looks.

It's a fundamental incompatibility... all couples have one... this is ours.





For me, it's a religious issue.  If God wanted clean boats, he would make detergent rain down on them and a good storm would scrub them clean.  He only makes water rain down, so I assume he only wants boats to be rinsed off.

I loose the first phase of the argument.  We head to the dock which will make it easier to load all the gear and fill the water, but I know this means that with the hose out, my beautiful wife will launch into boat cleaning mode.


And sure enough she does.





And fair enough, it needs it.  The inside looks like a tornado came through which it did in the form of a replaced fuel tank in the back stateroom.

I busy myself with filling the water tank, saying hello to Dan (our diver who does our mooring), and eventually swabbing the already clean deck.  While I'm doing this I'm thinking of how full of sh!t the birds around us seem, and also think about how muddy the pick-up stick must be from sitting in the water after the mooring was installed.


I busy myself with loading the bedding...


And eventually swab the already clean decks.  I'm willing to clean, but my tolerance is a couple of hours tops.  My incredible beloved can clean all day.

I'm aware of the approaching storms Roy (the launch captain) warned us about and finally with much wailing and gnashing of teeth (or was that baring of teeth?), we head in... leaving final items for the next visit.

Looking back, Seas The Day is the cleanest boat in our part of the anchorage... for now.



We'll continue the argument... I expect that decades from now, we'll be the old couple sitting on the deck at the club fussing at each other about this very topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment