Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Labor Day 2022 Vacation - Days 2 & 3 - Herrington Harbor South


We departed from Safe Harbor Narrows Point on Monday morning, after a quick breakfast of pancakes and berries, getting out just in time to request the 10:00 AM bridge opening of the Kent Narrows Bridge.


Vicky recorded two videos of us going under the bridge... two because the one she was working on was interrupted.   In the first video below you can hear her asking if I see the boat... it tuns out that someone decided that the best place to fish was right in the channel dead in front of the drawbridge.  You can hear me asking for the air horn... then the video stops because she gets the horn and I have to give five blasts to get the guy to move out of my path.  I make it through then the 2nd video resumes.




The trip down the eastern bay and across the main Chesapeake Bay was relatively uneventful.  Winds were essentially zero and the water was quite flat.  As we came down the eastern bay, Vicky unfolded the daybed in the cockpit and practiced her yoga.



Yoga on the water

Water was quite calm as we turned to head across the Chesapeake Bay




As we began our hour-long crossing, Vicky went below to prepare lunch and came back with this beautiful salad... tomatoes and mozzarella along with fresh Gardyn basil, greens and a red beet egg.



It seems that every time I do this crossing I encounter some sort of large vessel.  This is the tug Zeus pulling some sort of fuel barge


Once inside Herring Bay, we turned south into the approach to Herrington Harbor South.



Shortly after we tied up to the T-Head of B dock, we encountered this large-yacht traffic jam.


As we were getting tied up, Vicky took these two photos of local wildlife in the marina.  The first is clearly a turtle, then second she claims is a crab.  This set her off on a rest-of-the-day crabbing mission!


Is this a crab?

Now, this huge crab was right were we were docking and instantly Vicky's attention went away from getting tied up to how to snag this crab.  That left me and Sofia (the dock girl) to struggle to get everything adjusted right while trying to avoid Vicky who was focused on the crab hanging onto the pylon we were trying to tie up to.  

An argument ALMOST ensued.   I think she was initially miffed that my docking kept her from getting that crab... I know I was a bit annoyed at having to constantly step around her while tying off the lines and stringing the electrical cords.

We finished tying off, I gave Sofia a nice tip and Vicky immediately started crabbing.  This took place from mid-afternoon right up until dinner, then resumed for most of the evening.  (I wonder if she ordered chicken wings - only eating a couple - so she could have some crab bait after dinner.)

Vicky did manage to capture three crabs... but we felt they might not be big enough (or male enough), so right as dusk turned into night, they were given a chance to escape from the dock (which they did very quickly).




After the crabbing was finished, we sat in the cockpit and I worked on this blog post, while vicky followed the Chinese stock market - both of us enjoying the peaceful scenes from night at the marina and a crescent moon setting in the west.





I woke up early on Tuesday and did my sunrise walk.  The marina grounds looked wonderful with all their flowers and the lights still lit as the sky began to come alive.  I made it to the beach just as the sun was rising where I found a blue heron posing for me for some sunrise shots.









I wish I could say we did more... this is a resort marina after all, but this was one of those days where the heat index (aka "real feel" temp) was 100F, and frankly, I watched movies (which means taking naps during movies) and Vicky played with trying to catch some crabs.

I did venture out to the market across the street for lunch.

After lunch, more videos were the order of the day (again while Vicky played at catching crabs).  She did manage to catch one, but in the end she let him go as well since cooking crabs for only one didn't seem worth it.  

Late afternoon, Vicky went swimming as it began to cool and I watched a storm come in.  The storm never amounted to much down here (a fair bit of wind, but not much rain), but up in Rock Hall it looked like they got a stronger dose.



Around 6:30 Vicky finally gave up on the crabs and began to prepare a Blue Apron meal (Shrimp curry, green beans and rice) which we had out in the cockpit as the sun began to go down.  I interrupted eating to go forward and grab a few shots of the colorful sky.







We ended the day with nightcaps (Dark and Stormys) in the cockpit.  


Tomorrow, we continue south to Safe Harbor Zahnisers marina.  It looks like it will be a beautiful day and we should be able to actually SAIL south!




Summary of Costs

Herrington Harbor South - $284

Ketch 22 - $116

Chesapeake Market & Deli - $19

Dockhand tips - $10

Total for this section - $429







No comments:

Post a Comment