Thursday, June 3, 2021

June 2021 Vacation - Day 0

 

(Note that ongoing vacation photos will appear here as they get copied up to SmugMug.)

By way of some background... my company hath decreed that "All souls shalt taketh thine vacation next week".  I sort of get why they're doing this, but it kind of sucks being told you must take vacation when you can't be with your family.  Because, despite our best attempts, Vicky is still stuck in China, so I have to vacate alone and therefore, vacate I shall.  

I could stay at my marina and just hang out in Seas The Day, but I decided I can try a bit of single handing as well.

My plan comes from the "Suggested Destinations..." section of the Waterway Guide, pictured above and the source of all the pages below.  This is a nice cruising guide to the whole Chesapeake Bay.  I'm going to focus on THE UPPER BAY section... do like I'm cramming for a high school test... and just hit the boldface type.  

My marina, Osprey Point, is in Rock Hall, MD (pretty much the center of this section of the map). 



I expect to start by heading to St. Michaels either Friday or (more likely) Saturday.  All of this depends on weather, my mood, and marina reservations.  I'm still not confident of my anchoring system for anything more than a lunch break, but I may try a side trip to one of the coves listed for a long lunch.  (I'm pretty sure I want to be at marinas overnight if possible.)


I may do St. Michaels - Herring Bay - Annapolis as one "loop" excursion.  


We went to Chestertown and Baltimore last year... I might go back, but figured it may be more enjoyable to try someplace new.  There are a few places listed north of Rock Hall, as well.


That's pretty much it... may be a small (or big) loop... it may even be a series of trips (going back to Rock Hall in between).  I'm interested in seeing where exactly my comfort zone lies with regards to this (especially after reading Harry's book).  I'm provisioned and packed for 9 days (some fresh, some frozen, some freeze dried) and assuming I'll eat at least some of the meals from restaurants, the one thing I'm certain of is that I won't starve.

Oh, I expect to be within cell phone coverage most evenings for my nightly WeChat session with Vicky, but out on the bay it could be a bit sketchy.  If you're tying to reach me during the day and can't, don't panic... I may be sailing... or sleeping.

Check back here for updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment