Thursday, August 13, 2015

Blasted birds

The Raritan Bay is recovering from Sandy. 

I should be glad... I'm told the storm churned up the bottom (which is known to be somewhat "polluted") and that in turn killed off some of the more sensitive marine life.   As a result of the kill-off, the marine birds went elsewhere in looking for dining options, and (despite our one-time experience here) the KYC mooring field seems to have had a couple of years break from the "bird problem".

I can tell you that is NO LONGER the case.  The bay is recovering and the birds are back.  How do I know this?  Here's my evidence from two weeks ago...









The tern responsible for all this should be very glad that I don't like guns.

After the cleaning, we equipped Seas The Day with all manner of "bird-be-gone" paraphernalia... at least the stuff that is KYC-approved.  There's a large debate at the club over what types of bird deterrents are allowed with the "I want a quiet boat" crowd currently winning over the "I want a birdshit-free boat" bunch (supposedly, a high volume "dying bird" sound broadcast at Jet-Aircraft levels works wonders).  I'm told that if I switch to white canvas for my dodger and bimini, the birds will let me alone (evidently they like to see their designs) and I'll join the "I want a quiet boat" crowd.





No comments:

Post a Comment