Sunday, May 22, 2016

Working from Boat...

The weather outlook for this weekend wasn't great, but Thursday evening through Saturday morning looked to be OK.  Since I only had this weekend to test out my WIFI hotspot, I headed over to NJ deciding to "work from boat" on Friday.

I deliberately did NOT take a bunch of camera equipment - this was mostly about work.  It means the photo of the night view awaiting me wasn't that great (or at least as good as it could be).  That decision will haunt me on Friday evening at sunset.


On Friday morning, I got up early, set up the office, made breakfast and got down to work.  Without going into details, the WIFI response was good - excellent for sharing emails and documents, presentations, spreadsheets, etc.  Client-server response with my scientific software where my laptop was the client was also decent.  Going through remote desktop and VMWare to get to other systems was as slow as expected, but also doable.




Before you know it, it was lunch time.  A quick prep of some clam chowder (always have to have oyster crackers with that) and I was able to keep going, but laptop battery was starting to show signs of quitting early.  I had brought an iPad as a backup to use the new OneDrive corporate IT just gave me, but my iPad wasn't deemed secure enough (that took a while to work through).  I took that as far as I could and then spend the last bit of the day answering emails via iPhone.


About that time, I found myself sitting in a cesspool of sorts.  Not sure what the scum was, but as late afternoon was approaching, it was time for some sailing, anyway.


Motoring out of the harbor, I found a brand new #3 buoy.  I'm guessing the coast guard isn't monitoring this blog and they knew it was missing before last week's entry.


A little after 5:00 PM, the sails were up!


I sailed almost out to Old Orchard Shoal, crossed the bay back to Keansburg and then headed back to the Keyport channel.  This was a first for me!  I SAILED (single handing) from the Keyport #1 buoy, in a triangle pattern and got back to that Keyport #1 buoy all under sail.  This is hardly a feat of great navigation, but in the past our sailing was pretty much "whatever way the wind takes us" and at some point we turn on the motor to get from one point to another (usually while returning).  So hopefully all the reading over the winter is helping and I'm beginning to bring it all together.


The leg back was on a beam reach and heading into the sunset on under those conditions was fabulous.  


The Keyport #1 buoy!

After tying up on the ball, I headed ashore and had a beer at the KYC bar while ordering sushi from Nemo Asian Fusion to take back to Seas The Day for a "Sushi at Sunset" way to finish off the day.



I sorely regretted not bringing the good camera.  The cloud features during sunset were spectacular - all sorts of colors swirling around the sun - almost like an impressionist painting.



I went to sleep right after sunset.  Then woke up Saturday morning and cleaned up the rest of Seas The Day's interior... mopped the floors, wiped down all the counters and stowed away the rest of the items.  I still want to find a place to stow the extra life jackets other than in the main salon, but aside from that, everything has its place.




No comments:

Post a Comment