Sunday, August 6, 2017

Two Trips in One Weekend!

I invited some work friends as guests to go sailing on Saturday because the weather looked so great as the weekend approached.  Unfortunately, they couldn't come.  So I headed up by myself for some single handing.

But... weather had other plans.

It was great as I started out, but crossing the Driscol Bridge I noticed the sky was darker than I expected.   When I got out on the launch, I turned around and saw this...



Most of you know that I'm a fair weather sailor... I chatted with Bill the head of launch operations and after observing for a bit, I decided that despite the two-hour drive, it was more prudent to pack it in.

So I hailed the launch and headed back in.  Win some, lose some... some days you have a great day of sailing, others, you find black clouds and decide lunch is a better option.

I did manage to squeeze a photo op... Junior sailing was running the weekend program and I saw Brandon in his Opti.


After that, I had lunch with John and headed back down to Delaware.  That evening, looking at the weather, I regretted not taking my bag and staying the night (though the weather wasn't conducive to staying over), so I wanted to make sure I got out on Sunday because the weather forecast looked nice.

The best way to do that was to get some friends to come along, so I called my neighbors and they jumped at the chance to join me.


We sailed out to Old Orchard and back, but one thing different today was the amount of large boat traffic, I saw 5 large vessels (4 barges and a tanker) on the bay at the same time!



Finally, after heading around the shoal, we headed back.  Once the sails were rolled up, we settled in for the ride back to Keyport 1 and I offered the helm to Ilene.  She did a great job - much better at helming than at cooperating with the boat photographer.



We passed some friends heading out and after tying up, we headed in and met John at the Junior Sailing Bar (I expect the lower bar in the junior sailing room has a different - perhaps more official and maybe more appropriate name... I just don't remember it.)  Following a drink, we went into town and had a nice dinner at the Old Glory Kitchen & Spirits.  I can give an unqualified recommendation for the meatloaf!

No comments:

Post a Comment