Saturday, July 6, 2019

2019 NYC - Liberty Landing Trip - Day 3



It was pretty much a lazy day.  Seas The Day stayed in her slip at Liberty Landing for the entire day.  Vicky had pulled an all-nighter for her work, going to the lounge for a 2 AM conference call that lasted almost until I woke up.  So I puttered around the boat while she slept.  I tried more troubleshooting of the water system to no avail.  I did manage to finally install the furling line guides for our spinnaker.  I finally called for service from the service guys at Liberty Landing and Jose showed up to double check the packing box and try to troubleshoot the water system.

I always have someone check the packing box for me... not having grown up with boats, this common procedure scares me.  It's mostly related to the speed with which water can come into the boat when something goes wrong.  (For those interested, the packing box surrounds the propeller shaft... with the engine being inside the boat and the propeller outside, it has to go through the hull, but the propeller has to spin, so the packing is what allows that to happen without water getting in - in theory.)  The previous time Jose had visited my boat it was literally sinking.  We had noticed the bilge pump going off every 15 min or so and a simple bilge pump failure or dead battery would have been catastrophic.






It turns out that the water pump is starting to go.  I'll have to figure out how to get this done.  Staying at Liberty Landing means $250 per night and the service guys only work on weekdays.  It's much better to try and find someone locally near Keyport.

That's pretty much it.  After lunch we did our best to imitate slugs... temperature was mid-90s outside and inside it was quite a number of degrees above that.  Running the engine to go out for a bit would have added MORE heat inside.  So we toughed it out and then went to dinner at Maritime Parc.

As I said, Seas The Day stayed in her slip.



No comments:

Post a Comment