Sunday, July 18, 2021

A Breaking Heat Wave

 

We had yet another heat wave this past week, so I had mixed feelings about heading down to Rock Hall.  Heat Indices during the past week were close to (or over) 100F... not something I'd like to go sailing in.  Still, it offered a break from life in Newark, so I headed down in the wee hours of Friday morning.

Friday was spent just working from the boat, ending with a really nice dinner at Osprey Point - pistachio encrusted salmon and... confession time... their bread pudding as well.


The first bit of daylight woke me on Saturday morning, and with a heat advisory already in effect, I decided to get out and do an early morning walk while I could.  I walked across the dock just as the sun was rising and caught these following photos.






After a nice walk down to Gratitude and back, I went to Java Rock for breakfast and coffee.


I started back to Osprey Point around 7:30 AM.  The heat was already oppressive and the humidity rapidly climbing.  Looking at the weather forecast, seeing a large storm breaking the heat wave Saturday afternoon, and not particularly enjoying the thought of going out while the heat was so high, I made an executive decision and decided that Saturday was best spent testing the HDTV feature in Seas The Day.


As evening came on Saturday, the storm shifted so it would mostly go slightly north of us.  Still, it was an impressive display.  The wind suddenly picked up a bit after 6:00 PM and there was an impressive lightning show to the north as well.  (Some reports said there was pea-size hail out over the bay.)  

I sat in the cockpit and enjoyed a ham and brie sandwich I got at Java Rock earlier, while watching nature's fireworks.








On Sunday morning I woke up and repeated my walk.  During my walk, the wind was too strong for me to want to try single handing.  I decided to head back and have breakfast (spam hash) before deciding if today would be a sailing day. 


And in the end, I decided to veg a bit for the morning and then head back home and getting lunch on the road.  I'm not sure why I didn't sail... the wind was a tad strong, and it would be blowing me away from the finger pier (complicating departure and return - especially single-handed).  

In the end it was just because I didn't want to.  



No comments:

Post a Comment