Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Hudson River Trip - Day 5

We woke up in Nyack with the sun already risen over Tarrytown.  Water was perfectly calm, and with one attempt to go outside and I was repelled by hundreds of black flies camped on our Bimini.  I choose to stay below for a little and work on the blog.

Finally at 7:30, I went out to this scene, quickly dropped the hook and we motored off towards the Tappan Zee bridge.



A last glance up the Hudson showed us the cliffs that were only shadows yesterday as we arrived.  We'll have to try that trip another time.


As I got out to the channel, I turned south and we headed down the Hudson and under the bridge.


We were going full bore and as soon as the current caught us, suddenly we were doing 8.1 knots!


I didn't want to complete this trip too quickly, so I backed down to a more normal cruising speed and we settled into a nice 6.5 kts SOG.  Far in the distance you could see the NYC skyline.  The cliffs from the Palisades looked incredible and a ton of black flies camped out, along for the ride.  I tried several times to shoo them, but they just kept coming back.




As we traveled south, we stayed close to the western bank and the Palisades, watching the houses, wildlife and landmarks as we passed.



Vicky decided we needed to be more comfortable and rigged a nice sunshade, then she chased the flys with a dishwashing wand.  Somehow that wand was magic and the flies left us.



We continued down past the Alpine Boat Basin...



I wondered how cars got down to that boat basin, and discovered this bridge... so I guess there's a road.





Soon, we reached the top of Manhattan and our next landmark was the GWB.



I didn't know they had a nice little campground just north of the GWB on the Jersey side.




Once below the GWB, we still hugged the NJ shore... I was amazed at how they carved space for houses out of any somewhat useable space in Edgewater.




Somewhere around Edgewater, Otto suddenly went bonkers and we started leaning far left and right.  I looked and this smooth weird shaped wave was passing under us.  Looking around, there were no barges or other large vessels.  I check the tide tables and I think that might have been the tide wave coming in.  After it passed, we suddenly started picking up some speed.

We continued to pass landmarks - both nice ones and less nice.



This complex seemed like a nice use for an old pier.


I never liked this stick-like building... still don't.


This one, however, I love...




Steven's Institute of Technology sits right on the Hudson.



I attended a photography workshop once at this Gazebo and Frank Sinatra Park, below, in Hoboken.





As we got into lower Manhattan, the wind picked up a good bit and it began to get choppy again.


We even began to see whitecaps right as we reached the bottom of the Hudson.  I was glad to see the Colgate clock and turn in



Soon Seas The Day was tied up back at Liberty Landing Marina.



We tied up, I paid for our night's stay and we had a nice relaxing (and hot) afternoon.

As evening approached, we cleaned up and went to dinner at the Liberty House restaurant.  We have never before been able to get reservations here on the weekends we have visited.  Mid-week, however, there was space available. We shared a roasted garlic appetizer and then Vicky had braised short ribs and I had a nice salmon. Since we were celebrating a nice trip up the Hudson, we had a nice banana brownie dessert.



The food was tasty, the wine enjoyable, the view... well considering the location, they could have designed the restaurant better to take advantage of the view.  We stayed indoors because we wanted to cool off, Vicky had a partial view of lower Manhattan, I had a partial view of the Goldman Sachs building.  Lower views were blocked off by the gardens and outdoor structures.  

For the money, next time I'd do Maritime Parc.

Afterward, we relaxed in our own special ways... I blogged, Vicky cleaned her boat.


No comments:

Post a Comment