Friday, July 8, 2016

Hudson River Trip - Postmortem

Being a scientist, after finishing any large project, a postmortem seems like the thing to do.  We headed out to explore the Hudson River all the way up to Kingston, NY.  In the end, our track looked something more like this... only getting as far as the Tappan Zee and Nyack, NY.


We spent a day going into NY Harbor, two more days around the Statue of Liberty with friends and family, two days going up and down the Hudson, and a final day (and storm) crossing back to Keyport.


Here is a quick summary of what we accomplished and what we learned (in no particular order).

- We doubled the amount of time we spent on board Seas The Day from the 3 days of our Delivery Trip to six days.  This gave us a much better feeling for some of the features of our ship... we're better at working the head, we understand more about some of the electronics, and I'm a little more comfortable with docking.  Power management - both underway and while plugged in is better understood, and I also have some areas where I should hit the books and brush up on my knowledge (understanding Otto, for example).

- Spending time with people letting them see the Statue and other landmarks from the water was a wonderful way to deal with Liberty Landing's "Three night stay on holiday" rule.  My first thought was to pay the inflated fee and just head up the river.  That actually might have canned the whole trip... the Hudson was so rough those first two days, I don't think I would have ventured (or even been able to get) very far.

- Understand where ferry docks and other restricted spaces are.  Your boat's electronic chart may not show them (especially if the rules have changed since your purchase).  The USGC IS serious about this.

- I seriously underestimated the river.  There was no way (in this time of spring tides, and on the dates chosen) that the planned length would have been successful - other than a series of very long (10 to 12 hr) days.  I did learn a lot more about currents and tides, though.

- Boat handling during bad weather... we had always been "fair weather sailors" before this trip. Staying under power during the squall seems (based on my reading this past day) the right thing to do.  It was better than trying to drop anchor under duress.  That being said, a key mistake was racing to try and get home on the ball as a storm was obviously bearing down on us.  That move put us closer to shallows than necessary.  I would have been better to use the time to get out to a place with deeper water in all directions so I would have time if the electronics failed.  Washing sunscreen off my face and zipping in the center panel in the Bimini would also be nice preparations.

- We didn't plan a huge amount in terms of provisioning for six days.  This turned out to be the right choice.  We had enough on board that we had options, but correctly guessed that most days a restaurant would be available (it was vacation, after all).  In July heat, letting someone else do the cooking was a relief.  I did, however, bring way too much camera equipment along... the basic camera and street sweeper zoom alone would have been fine.

- Managing symptoms while traveling... I think we hit OK on this one.  I had the first signs of discomfort on Day 2.  We stopped by an ER on the morning of Day 3... we were hoping for a clinic, but the ER was the only choice - and open on a national holiday.  I choose to manage symptoms (lots of cranberry juice and water) and keep an eye on things, rather than pay ER prices (especially when they wouldn't quote me a basic charge).  When the Hudson looked so inviting, I chose to explore knowing that I could get medical assistance anywhere along the river if I really needed it (and I was in contact with my insurance company's "nurse line").  When I finally check into a clinic and got the prescription, it was clear that sailing was over for a week or so (not allowed to be in sunlight), and I was glad we had salvaged a good portion of the vacation.  (Oh, and I need to figure out how to use the head so my...     well, I'll spare you that visual.)

- Never underestimate Vicky's unorthodox approach might just solve a problem I've been wrestling with... weather it's putting up a towel with bungee cords or chasing flies with a dish wand... you never know.



No comments:

Post a Comment