Saturday, June 13, 2015

A Quick Trip with John

I wanted one more time to practice getting on and off the ball by myself, but with another person on-board to back me up.  John got off of work mid-afternoon, so we went out for a couple of hours.

The first order of business was to refill the tanks now that Vicky is in Asia again.  She can use all 27 gallons washing the boat in one evening.  We got up to the dock and filled up.  This water will last me until she returns.

While at the dock, I had john get out the bowsprit.  This is a big aluminum strut that holds the "spinnaker" (in quotes because it's not really a spinnaker, but rather a code X... I think... this all gets confusing).  Any the bowsprit holds the spinnaker out in front so it can get better air when we use it.  Unlike a true spinnaker, which is a big colorful sail for sailing downwind, this is called a "reaching sail" and it is big and colorful, but it acts a bit like a huge jib.  It's not really good for close hauling (as close to sailing into the wind as you can get), or for running (sailing 180 degrees away from the wind) but I'm told it can help you in between those two extremes when the wind is light.

Our first spinnaker was not made correctly so we exchanged it over the winter.  We finally got it all unpacked and while John was along to take the helm, I went on the forward deck for half an hour to get it all sorted out.  The wind was extremely light which helped... after a couple of tries we got it hoisted correctly.

It is a grand sight...



After we sailed a little (maybe 5 minutes), we rolled it up on the furler and I packed it away as John began motoring back to Keyport.

Tonight I hope to get a few photos of the "boat light parade" taking place at the other end of the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment