Sunday, June 14, 2015

First Time Singlehanding!!

So... It's a few days past our 2nd anniversary of sailing (the sunset cruise on the Kathleen D).

During that time, we took 3 different ASA course, I've studied many books and owners manuals, and we had a full and rich season sailing together last year.  But Vicky's new job will have her out of the country from time to time, and if I want to go out while she's not around, I either have to find some crew friends, or learn how to do it myself.  (Even if I have crew friends on board, if they're not sailors, I have to know how to do it all.)

So today, after 3 shakedown cruises where I did all the important parts, I swallowed hard and dropped the mooring line.  I was off on my first time single handing Seas The Day.

What a rush!

Sailing by yourself is kind of cool... it's a perfect way to "live in the moment" and forget all the worries of life because all the time you're brain is occupied (looking out for other boats, checking the lines and sails, steering, etc.).  It feels sort of like the first time I drove by myself... lots of freedom, lots to pay attention to, you're brain is just "ON" (on full power too).  I'm sure eventually it will become a bit like driving today (you can almost do it in your sleep), but I'm way far away from that point currently.

I also had to face the fact that there are some things I didn't really do well.  (I can't blame Vicky for a bad tack!)  The first was when I was crossing the channel and a barge was coming up.  I thought I might pass in front of him, but not with enough margin for my comfort, so I tacked away.  I didn't plan that tack as well as I should have, so if you were behind me, I'm sorry for the confusion.

But all in all... what a feeling!

Here's a time lapse from the GoPro I mounted on the pushpit rail (go over to YouTube to see it in HD).


Ed and Angie (friends from KYC) captured some photos of me again.



Thanks Ed!

No comments:

Post a Comment