Saturday, July 4, 2015

A Day out with Maggie and Stefan


Regular readers (both of you... one of whom is Vicky) might recall Maggie (Vicky's childhood friend) who joined us on our maiden voyage.  Perhaps due to the problems of being out that first time on Seas The Day, it took me a year to convince Maggie to give it another try.  Yesterday, she finally did and invited a former colleague, Stefan along for the adventure.


Since it was July 3rd, we originally planned to sail until sunset and then catch the local fireworks from the boat.  So we headed out a little after 4:00 PM. 

Soon we were passed by Affinity so I grabbed some photos for our friends...




It was a pleasant day and after we were sailing along at a nice pace, I gave the helm to Stefan.  We sailed around a bit and got to see some of the other traffic out on the bay.


(now that I think about it, that could have been a fireworks barge getting ready for July 4th)

We sailed out to the middle of the bay, then I practiced "heaving to" (a technique that puts the boat in a sort of rest state while saying).  Once successful, we set up the cockpit table and had a light dinner.


Although it was a perfect day of sailing, the sky was getting slightly cloudy and it was clear we wouldn't see a good sunset that day, so we tied up and caught a launch back into town, ending up at Nemo Asian Fusion for some sushi late in the evening.

On a side note, Maggie is the only person I have ever been willing to drive in Manhattan for... twice earlier this year to visit her in the hospital and last night to run Stefan home.  (I got to drive around Harlem & The West Side Highway before driving across the Brooklyn Bridge to drop Maggie off.)


1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun George, thank you do much for having me. I can't wait for my next sailing adventure with you.

    ReplyDelete